Fresh Ricotta Anyone?

RicottaItalyandMeOk. Admit it. Your image of ricotta comes from a tub bought in the supermarket. Dry and tasteless. Think again. Imagine ricotta so light and smooth that it melts on your tongue.  It has a rich yet vibrant taste.  That’s the real stuff.  When in Rome last October I became addicted to this. Try it with honey. Yum.

The only sad thing is that it’s almost extinct here in the U.S.  I’ve searched high and low.  Some say “make it yourself” with a combination of heating milk and curdling with lemon juice.  This produces a nice and light homemade cheese but it is NOT ricotta. Ricotta (re-cooked) is an Italian whey cheese made from sheep milk whey left over from the production of cheese. Similar but not the same.

I sure wish I had some right now.  Don’t you?

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Food, Italy, Photography

Author:italy...and me

Beth Beeman lives and writes from the beach city of San Clemente, California. She is interested in food, genealogy, wine and all things Italian. www.italyandme.com

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

7 Comments on “Fresh Ricotta Anyone?”

1. February 9, 2014 at 11:17 am #

Looks fab, I’ve just signed up to do a cheese making course and I can’t wait!!

• February 9, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

What kind of cheese will you be making? Sounds like fun!

• February 9, 2014 at 11:31 pm #

Ricotta, mozzarella and pecorino, I can’t wait!

• February 12, 2014 at 2:17 am #

Mmmm, intrigued! Where are you doing the course?? Cheers, Lizzie

2. Debby Cherney
    February 9, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

When you find this ricotta here, perhaps we can also find the most amazing burrata?!?

3. February 18, 2014 at 4:06 pm #

I have watched it being made and tasted the results…absolutely delicious.