Dinner in a Sea Cave. Live Your Italian Dream.

palmareiandmeDinner in a sea cave; no windows or ceiling; the ocean breeze wafting about as you listen to the waves crash on the rocks. This is the seaside town of Polignano a Mare in Puglia. The restaurant Grotta Palazzese is definitely a tourist attraction with over priced food – but it is well worth the price for the experience. We dined a bit early by Italian standards and were treated to the most prized table located on the edge of the cave, overlooking the ocean. For accommodations, we did not stay in the hotel associated with restaurant but rather in the neighboring town of Monopoli – a short 10 minute car ride from Polignano a Mare.  I had seen this restaurant in a Facebook post of all places and just decided to make it a priority on our trip last October.  I’m glad I did.

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Food, Italy, Photography

Author:italy...and me

Beth Beeman lives and writes from the beach city of San Clemente, California. She is interested in food, genealogy, wine and all things Italian. www.italyandme.com

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

17 Comments on “Dinner in a Sea Cave. Live Your Italian Dream.”

1. February 19, 2014 at 3:11 pm #

Oh, that is too fantastic. Let’s see more pix!

Liked by 1 person

2. February 19, 2014 at 4:10 pm #

I never ate there. I went in several times to take photos :-) cool post

• February 19, 2014 at 5:06 pm #

Thanks Michael. I would go again….. didn’t want to leave!

3. February 19, 2014 at 11:33 pm #

I ate there last May! Pulignano is charming and the food in Puglia was some of the best I’ve ever eaten. You are the only person I know who has been to Monopoli! We need to connect!

4. February 20, 2014 at 12:39 am #

What a fab idea, more pics would be great!

5. February 20, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

Puglia is my home away from home! :) Never been to Polignano! Thanks for the experience! :)

6. February 20, 2014 at 5:41 pm #

Believe it or not, I’ve never been to Puglia. This restaurant makes me want to go now!

• February 20, 2014 at 5:55 pm #

It’s an amazing place. I was there for two weeks at the end of September 2013. Do it!

7. February 20, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

I’ve been to Grotta Palazzese, and yes, it is one of the most incredible places to go in Italy, without a doubt. The price of the restaurant is worth it for this memorable experience.

8. EmilyAnn Frances
    February 27, 2014 at 2:18 am #

What an experience. But what do they do at high tide? Or is the cave far enough not to be affected?